Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Can I buy Multiple policies?

Saturday, March 17th, 2007

From: jblyn@att.net
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:37:03 -0700
Local: Mon, Mar 12 2007 7:37 pm
Subject: What if I buy multiple cars/multiple driver policies from two companies?
Reply Forward Print Individual message Show original

It is time to add my 16 year-old son to our auto insurance policy.Our current insurance provider quoted us $3,050/yr on top of the$2,200 we pay for our 3 cars/2 driver scenario. Our $5,250/yr policywould look like this:Car 1: Honda Civic, primary driver = male over 25, 15K mi/yrCar 2: BMW 318, primary driver = female over 25, 15K mi/yrCar 3: Chevy Impala, primary driver = male under 25, 5K mi/yrCar 4: Chevy Suburban, recreational only, 5K mi/yrIn our research we have discovered that having a 2-car/3-driver policywhere the boy is a part-time driver saves a ton of money. My questionis this, if we were to buy 2-car/3-driver policies from two differentinsurance providers, would we be opening ourselves up for issues whenit comes time to file a claim on one of the cars?It would be like this:
>From GEICO we would buy a policy:

Car 1: BMW 318, primary driver = female over 25, 15K mi/yrCar 2: Chevy Impala, primary driver = male under 25, 5K mi/yr16 year-old son is part time driver on either car
>From AmFam we would buy a policy:

Car 1: Honda Civic, primary driver = male over 25, 15K mi/yrCar 2: Chevy Suburban, primary driver = female over 25, 5K mi/yr16 year-old son is part time driver on either carCould I get away with this? I know I would save $$ on premiums. Whatdo you think?–JB

1 comment:

Larry said...

Dear JB,

I would be very careful.

The fact is it is easy to fool or trick any insurance company, that is untill it’s time to make a claim.

My advice is allways the same, be upfront with the company because at the time of a loss it’s a bad time to find out you have a problem.

Let me tell you that the dollar amounts you stated that Geico and State Farm were charging you seem quite high. We can get you the coverage your family needs at a much lower rate and at the same time make sure that all of the “T”s are crossed and “I”s are dotted.

Gerald (Agent)